5 Tips for Keeping Your Garbage Disposal Running smoothly
1. Ensure proper disposal of waste. Not everything can be put down the garbage disposal - certain foods such as bones, egg shells, and fibrous materials like celery should not go down the drain. Furthermore, avoid putting grease or oil into the sink as they can cause clogs and build-up that will damage your disposal.
2. Perform regular maintenance. Regular cleaning is important to keep your garbage disposal running smoothly and effectively. Periodically grind a few pieces of ice cubes in order to remove any built-up residue from inside the blades while sharpening them at the same time. Likewise, use a toothbrush to scrub off any gunk on or around the rubber flaps at the bottom of your sink’s drain.
3. Inspect the pipes regularly. Make sure to check your pipes every now and then for any blockages or clogs that may be forming. If you detect any clogs, use a plunger to remove them, but if it proves to be too difficult, seek professional help immediately.
4. Invest in a good disposal cleaner/deodorizer. Odors are bound to develop over time as bacteria builds up inside the garbage disposal, so invest in a quality cleaner/deodorizer that can get rid of those odors quickly and efficiently.
5. Be prepared for emergencies. Having a few essential tools such as an adjustable wrench and pliers on hand is always helpful in the event of a clog or any other type of emergency. Knowing how to use these tools correctly is also essential in order to avoid causing any damage to your disposal.
If you're experiencing any Garbage Disposal issues, don't hesitate to give us a call. We're experts in the field and can help you solve your problem quickly. We were voted one of the BEST plumbers in 2020 by Expertise.com and we're located in RSM (Rancho Santa Margarita). So if you need assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!